Welcome to deborahwirsu.com – I’m delighted to have you as part of my worldwide thread sketching and textile art community.
I believe that EVERYONE has an inherent ability to create stunning, individualistic textile art, regardless of experience, background, age, location, language, or financial resources.
deborahwirsu.com has been at home on the web for nearly five years, so you can imagine I have built up hundreds of useful tips and tricks for you to read about and ideas to experiment with.
If this is your first time here, then please allow me to guide you through what is on offer, to help you get started!
Does this sound like you?
- You yearn to create.
- You love to sew or have a passion to learn.
- You want to explore the opportunities of using free motion creative stitch.
- You are a total newcomer to thread sketching or have some experience, perhaps in a different field of stitching.
- You are looking for genuinely useful tutorials, resources and instructions.
- You want to be inspired.
If so, then you are in the right place, as helping people is important to me.
Get to know me
My focus is on Free Motion Machine Thread Sketching and Thread Painting, but there is always room for some quilting and contemporary textile art in my life. Variety is key!
This website was launched to inspire a community of creative stitchers and thread-obsessives worldwide.
I’ve had a rather eclectic career (should I say ‘careers’?) over the years, ranging from:
- Classical musician (viola player) and music teacher
- Writer, Editor and Proofreader
- Online and face-to-face adult education provider
- ESL (English as Second Language) teacher
All a bit ridiculous, I know! But these are all pursuits that I still follow and earn my living from, cumulatively.
And there is a common theme amongst this list – I love to teach and I love to share creativity.
Creativity is the destination.
Check out my About page to read more of my story.
Be part of my community
deborahwirsu.com is updated regularly and there are a number of ways you can stay in touch and never miss out on something new:
Begin by subscribing to my Studio Newsletter, where I share tips, inspiration, and new tutorials and courses.
I’ll also send you my free ebook Ten Top Tips for Successful Creative Thread Sketching, which you will find useful if you are a beginner or more advanced.
In addition, your subscription allows you free entry to my Resource Library where you’ll find insider tips, patterns, and short courses.
Already a Subscriber? You can Log In HERE
If following on social media is your thing, then keep up to date via:
If you need to ask a question, you can email me and I will respond as soon as possible:
Tutorials and Articles
Thread Sketching in Action / YouTube
My YouTube channel has over one hundred video tutorials, including the popular Thread Sketching in Action series, plus other helpful tutorials covering:
- Thread Sketching
- Free Motion Stitching
- and more!
Sharing, Tutorials and Articles
The Sharing page is currently experiencing technical difficulties. See below (My Most Popular Tutorials and Articles) for direct links to a selection of popular posts. I hope to rectify this problem as soon as possible.
Browse the most popular Videos, Tutorials, Articles, and other inspiration on my SHARING pages.
These will keep you happily occupied for hours!
My Most Popular Tutorials and Articles
- How to set up your machine for free motion stitching
- Free Motion Stitching on a Standard Machine
- Using Inktense on Fabric: an Introduction
- Using Inktense: Quilt first, Paint later
- Stitch a Textile Leaf Bookmark
- All About Appliqué (an 8 part series)
Creative Art and Inspiration Articles
- Copying Kills Creativity: 10 steps to creating original art
- Inspiration for Art and Textiles from Everyday Objects
- 11 Ways to Interpret Thread Sketching Designs
- Edrica Huws Patchwork Pioneer: Following her artist’s instinct
- Repetition and Imitation Art Education: Does it help?
- Find Time for Your Art: Believe you are an artist
- Be Yourself: Self-expression in your art
- 10 Creative things to do while your sewing machine is being repaired
- Lotus Leaf Studies: Looking to the past for new inspiration
- Thread Sketching in Action: the Series
There is something to suit every level of experience at Deborah Wirsu Arts Academy.
For the absolute newcomer to thread sketching, I suggest starting with my FREE online taster class:
- Thread Sketched Whimsical Flowers Picture Postcard which will not only help you get underway but also give you a taste of what my other classes are like.
Perhaps then you will feel ready to move on to one of my paid classes, which offer excellent value for money, with loads of clearly-presented and useful information, demonstrations, and patterns:
- Fabulous Fabric Landscapes
- Freestyle Machine Thread Sketching: the easy, whimsical way!
- ZigZag Zazzle – Part One
- ZigZag Zazzle – Part Two
- Bumble Bee Brooch
- Explore Thread Painting: Red Splendour
- Explore Thread Painting: Evening Glory
- Appliqué One: You’ve Just Begun
- Easy Appliqué: ModArt Monstera Mini Quilt Project
- Lifetime access and 24/7 availability (with an internet connection)
- Lessons in easy-to-follow video format
- Projects to make
- Downloadable PDF notes, patterns and designs
- Online access to your tutor (me!) should you have a question or need assistance
- 100%, 30-day money back guarantee
Blog and Galleries
Oh, just three more things before you get started:
There are hundreds of posts on my Blog – you can read them all here and subscribe to RSS if you like!
I hope you enjoy what I have to offer and I look forward to meeting you through one of my classes or tutorials.
Thanks for visiting!
Subscribe to Studio News here!